You're Doing It Wrong: KOTOR



First off, why is it every single original Xbox title I try to play on my 360 is glitched? KOTOR suffers from a pretty heinous bug where the framerates will just fucking DIE for about a minute whenever the game tries to load a character's "in combat taunts". Thankfully, you can set the game to auto-pause so you don't get eaten by a rancor while the system is freaking out, but it's still annoying as hell. But the failings of the 360's BC isn't the reason for this You're Doing it Wrong.

I've decided to go back and replay KOTOR (and eventually KOTOR II) because, well, I'm a giant Star Wars geek, and it pains me to not have a complete reservoir of knowledge about the subject. I have NO IDEA what goes on in these games. This is actually my third attempt to play this game. On both of my previous attempts, I made it up to Kashykk (after beating Tatooine), which only adds to my frustration with this title.

On the plus side: It's STAR WARS, BITCH!
On the down side:

  • To save on disc space, the game uses a sampling of 'alien voices', which are basically just the same 4-5 sound files per species. It's clever, but after 10 hours of gameplay, you never want to talk to anyone not relevant to the plot again. Alas, that's not enough to save you, and sometimes you still have to talk to a fucking rodian. Or a wookie. God I hate wookies, now. I know, I know, they probably didn't have any other choice, there's only so much room on a DVD. It's still annoying, though.
  • The combat system is just. Not. Good. It's not horrible. It's passable. Combat is not something to enjoy in KOTOR, it's the price of admission.
  • The pacing of the story is slow as hell. I'm trying to rush through crap, and I still end up having to do all kinds of dumb fucking side quests to get where I want to be.
Thankfully, BioWare learned well the lessons of KOTOR (and apparently KOTOR II and Jade Empire), because Mass Effect has NONE of these problems.

No comments: